April 11, 2012

The Basics...The Classic Button Down

During the ever changing weather, that is Houston, I have found myself sitting in my closet just staring at my clothes. 'What should I wear today?' runs through my mind. I usually start with one outfit that I think I may like then that leads to not liking one part which leads me to change the whole ensemble. It is very frustrating to me-the problems us women have right?!

Yesterday I had a mission when I went through my closet doors...no more sitting and just staring at the clothes. I walked through my beautiful double doors and picked out my black skinnies, white sleeveless button down shirt, and nude flats. Accessorised with a tassel necklace, Bulova watch, and it was on with my day. It took me all of 10 minutes to get dressed. I was very impressed with myself. Usually changing at least three times before I am satisfied is the routie.

I started thinking last night when I was getting ready for bed. Every once in a while I will just look at my clothes and think of potential outfits for various occasions. I soon realized that I had drifted off into thinking about 'the basics'. Rummaging through my clothes to see how many of 'the basics' I had. First up...the classic man's style white button down shirt. Check! I actually have probably about 3 versions in white-some with long sleeves and others with short or none at all. While I have about 3 more in a few different colors. Of course after that comes the great pair of jeans, trench coat, at least one comfy cashmere sweater, and I could go on and on but I will save that for another post!

After realizing that I had 'step 1' down (white button down) I began thinking of all the ways I could dress this shirt. There are times, as crazy as it may sound, I think I have way to many clothes...who could have too many clothes! Having lots of clothes gets me in this mood where I feel like I can't find one thing that will work. So I started with the number one basic and I tried to see how many different outfits I could create with this 'oh so simple' white shirt. The result was pretty awesome. I was pulling out fancy skirts, casual shorts, skinnies, flare jeans, capri's (so Dirty Dancing style.lol). I created at least 6 different outfits. I went to my accessories cabinet and kept going, then on to shoes, and last but not least...my beautiful purses.

It was amazing to me that by using the most simple, classic piece every woman must have, you can easily have a cocktail hour ensemble, an all day shopping Saturday outfit, work chic, and even a happy hour outfit. I was getting pretty excited so I do what I usually do...put my thoughts pen to paper. I started writing down all 'the basics' I do have and the ones that I should invest in. Yes, invest does = a little on the expensive side. I figured my classic button down shirt is Micheal Kors and wasn't cheap but I have had it for a few years and wear it frequently.

I am thinking that if I can get all the basics into my closet maybe getting dressed every day won't be such a challenge. Let's hope! Here are a few photos that I have found that really show case all the ways you can wear this classic piece!

Wear it with shorts...




Wear it with pants, jeans, or trousers...





Or dress it up with a gorgeous skirt...




Photos: 1/3/4/5/7/8/9

No comments:

Post a Comment