September 25, 2012

Perfect Vacation?



I have been on many vacations. Ones that were relaxing. A couple that were thrilling. And then there were the few that were washouts. Last week my husband and I ventured out on the longest road trip that we have been on together. Miami is exactly 22 hours from our home here in Houston. That is a very long time. To be honest I didn't know how I was going to be able to do it.  Be in a car for that amount of time or how we were going to handle it. 

One way that would make the trip easier as well as add a lot of fun was to stop at various locations. Instead of driving the 22 hours to Miami straight-let's be honest who really wants to do that. Maybe going there would be fine but driving back? First most people are depressed that the vacation is ending let alone driving for a whole day.

With lots of thought this is how I decided that we should divide our trip up:
-Houston to Panama City = 11 hours (Saturday)
-Panama City to Miami = 11 hours (Sunday-Wednesday)
-Miami to Orlando(Disneyworld!) = 4 hours (Wednesday-Friday)
-Orlando to New Orleans = 8 hours (Friday-Saturday afternoon)
-New Orleans to Houston = 5 hours

Sounds exhausting right? Just typing that got me tired! I figured going to all these different places, some neither of us have gone and others only one has been before, would split everything up nicely. I wasn't proven wrong. Though we were on the go a lot we still found lots of time to relax, take mid-day naps, read, eat, and drink. It was without a doubt the most fun we have had together on a trip. 

Driving was equally as fun and each destination. We talked, sang at the top of our lungs, ate, and then talked some more. It was very movie like-huge grin. If we had a soundtrack to our car rides it would probably be one of the Mumford and Sons songs. I don't think we have laughed or smiled that much-ever. 

Leaving all of our work, cares, and worries behind us we hit the road for a good time. Life talks were a big part of our trip. We would talk about the good times we had first dating. All the things that I tied to look cool doing-like most girls do-so I didn't look silly in front of him. Things that I said I liked when I really didn't...is that only me?! Conversation played into the further a lot too. How are kids will be. How many will we have-uh...how many times will I want to give birth! We already have our schedule lined up for Disney World with our kids. True story.

I said yesterday that around Mississippi is when I had a feeling come over me. We were talking about our future and for the first time I got a clear image in my head. Usually it would be filled with doubts and uncertainty. Now it was so clear that I could reach out and touch it. I knew exactly what I wanted to do with Drake Men. What I wanted this blog to be about. How I wanted to live the rest of my life as a wife and mother. And all of the other things that I want to add in my life-businesses, non-profit organizations, and to help as many people as I can. 

I have talked about for a long time that I am figuring out my life. Trying to navigate my way through life. For the first time I feel like I have gotten serious about life. Sounds strange but that is how I honestly feel. I am done searching for the 'right' way. The correct way. I am ready to get things done. 

At one point I looked at my guy and said "I don't want to be mediocre anymore. I want to be more than that. I want to be great. I want to be able to accomplish all these thoughts that I have constantly running through my head". My guy so nicely looked at me with a huge smile and said..."I am so glad you said that. I feel the same way. Who wants to be mediocre?" 

Don't misunderstand me. My guy and I have a wonderful life. We live in an area where a lot of people want to live in a nice high rise condo that is furnished with food in the fridge and money in the bank accounts. We have a great relationship. We are truly great friends who love and care for one another. We each have a great amount of respect for one another and want to see each other grow and be the best that they can. We both equally push each other in everything. At the same time we both want more. More knowledge. More philanthropy. More opportunities for us and other people.

As you can imagine all of these talks that we had I think in a way made us really miss working on Drake Men and future businesses. Inspiration was just pouring out of both of us. It made us closer than we are-if that was possible. 

Naming this post 'Perfect Vacation?' I felt suited us and the trip. It was as close as we could get to a perfect time together. In a way it seemed like a chapter closed and another one is opening. One that will have a lot of growth in our personal and business lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment